Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a selection of the most frequently asked question although please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or discuss your requirements in detail.

Will our wedding in Australia be recognised worldwide?

Yes, As I am a registered Civil Marriage Celebrant your wedding is recognised worldwide.

Can we be married if we are under 18 years of age?

YES – provided the person who is under 18 years of age obtain permission from a judge or local magistrate. However it is known that permission is rarely granted. Under no circumstances can two persons under 18 years marry each other.

Can I marry a person of the same sex?

NO - This is not legal in Australia. However, I am happy to conduct a Commitment Ceremony for you.

Is there a time restriction of when we can marry or where we can marry?

Couples can get married at any time of the day in Australia. There are also no restrictions on where you can marry but some Sydney venues such as public parks and venues requires booking and paid for in advance through the respective local Council.

How many witnesses do we need?

You will need to have two witnesses and your witnesses do not have to be related to you. However your witnesses must be over the age of 18 years.

Are you prepared to travel for our wedding?

Yes, I service all of Sydney metropolitan and also outside of Sydney. However a travel fee will apply dependent on the distance I need to travel to where your wedding is being held.

Would there be any other additional fees involved?

Apart from a travelling fee (if applicable), if you are intending to marry in the Sydney CBD area and secured parking is required by me, this parking fee must be covered by you. And if you intend to marry on a boat or on an island in our beautiful Sydney harbour, the cost of a water taxi to get me back to land after the wedding ceremony will also apply.

Do you have a PA System?

Yes, in fact I have two PA systems to cater for smaller and larger size weddings. My PA system is the most important equipment I have with me at all my weddings. And if not already supplied by your wedding venue/reception or that you have organised with your wedding decorator, I can bring along my signing table.

Do you have a CD player and will you look after our music if we supply you with a CD?

I have always encouraged my couples to appoint a responsible friend or relative to attend to the music on the day – equipment and cueing the songs etc. Simply, because as your celebrant, my role will be to deliver the wedding ceremony.

How many times can we meet with you?

I encourage open communication. Therefore I don’t have a restriction on how many consultations you can have with me - either personally or by phone, fax, or email. At the very minimum, we will meet at least twice before your wedding day.

How long does the ceremony usually last?

The average ceremony is 20 minutes long. However, it can be as short or as long as you like. It all depends on what you want to have included into your ceremony.

Can we write our own ceremony or have some input into our ceremony?

Absolutely, I do encourage this with all my couples – after all it is your wedding. We will be working together during this time anyway. However according to the Australian Marriage Act, there are some legal requirements in your wedding ceremony which must remain in your ceremony to ensure the marriage is legal.

Are you able to assist us with any recommendations of other wedding service providers as we prepare for our wedding?

YES - Of course, with many years of experience in events management and also knowledge in the bridal industry, it will be my pleasure to assist and recommend wherever I can.

If there are people around where we intend to get married, can we ask them to move?

Provided that you have obtained Council’s written approval to hold your wedding at that particular site, you have the right to ask them to move.

Serving drinks?

It is a good idea not to have any drinks before or during the ceremony. However I do recommend that you check with the respective Council first on what their ruling is for serving drinks in public.

Should we have a contingency plan or Plan B?

It is a good idea to have a Plan B if your wedding is going to be outdoors – especially if the weather is not in your favour – for example an alternative indoor venue, hire a marquis or have a large supply of umbrellas on hand for your guests.