Legal Requirements

Did You Know

A marriage cannot be solemnised in Australia unless:


The following original documentation is required to be sighted by myself - depending on your marital status:

Marital Status Evidence of Birth, Identification and Conjugal Status
Never Married
  • Birth Certificate or

  • Valid Australian or overseas Passport

  • Evidence of Annulment – Certificate of Annulment/ Decree of Nullity (if applicable)

  • Divorced
  • Birth Certificate

  • Evidence of Divorce – Certificate of Divorce/ Divorce Order/ Decree Absolute

  • Valid Australian or overseas Passport

  • Widow/Widower
  • Birth Certificate

  • Death Certificate Of Spouse

  • Valid Australian or overseas Passport

  • Foreign Language Documents

    If you are born overseas and your documentations (Birth Certificate, Divorce Certificate etc) are in a foreign language, your documents will need to be translated into English.

    This is the couple’s responsibility to have your documents translated by an accredited translator. The NAATI website has a list of translators. Once you have done this, you will need to bring along all the original documents (in foreign language) and the translated English versions to your celebrant.

    Statutory Declarations

    If a party does not have a birth certificate or a passport, the party may make and give to their celebrant a statutory declaration setting out the reasons why it is ‘impracticable’ (impossible) to obtain your birth certificate or extract and/or that you do not have a passport.

    The declaration must also state, to the best of the declarant’s knowledge and belief, and as accurately as the declarant has been able to ascertain, when and where the party was born. If you are in this situation, I can assist you with preparing your Statutory Declaration.