Interstate and Overseas Couples

I have married many couples from interstate and overseas. Just because you are not in Sydney doesn’t mean that my service diminishes or that you are missing out from the personal service that I would be giving to my Sydney based brides and grooms.

In fact, I tend to work harder for my interstate and overseas couples and with today’s communication technology; I am easily accessible via email, fax, phone and skype.

Managing the legal documentation may take a few extra steps but this is nothing to stress over and when we begin working together on your ceremony, this will be just as stress free.

During the course of your planning, if you require suggestions for any other wedding professional providers, I am happy to assist with recommendations based on your needs and budget.

When you eventually arrive into Sydney, we can arrange to meet to finalise all the legal documentation and confirm the finer details of your wedding day.

Lodgement of your Notice

You do not have to be in Sydney or Australia to ‘lodge’ your Notice with me. Once you have completed it and have had it witnessed as required, you can fax or scan and email the form to me first. Please remember, the same rule still applies – that is your faxed or emailed Notice must be received at least one month prior to your wedding date. So by faxing or emailing your Notice to me will satisfy this requirement. The date that I receive and endorse on your faxed or emailed Notice and copies of your required documents (birth certificates/passport etc) will be classified as the ‘date of receipt’.

Original Documents

After you have faxed or emailed me your documents, I will still need to have your original Notice as this is one of the documents that are submitted into the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry office after I marry you. So please post this form to me after faxing or emailing it through to me.

As for your other documentation (birth certificates/passports/divorce etc – whichever is relevant to your situation), I still MUST sight all original documents, so when we eventually meet for your rehearsal before your wedding or earlier, you will need to bring these documents along. I CANNOT conduct your marriage ceremony until I have sighted your original documents.

Overseas couples - After Your Marriage

As you are choosing to marry in our beautiful country, some couples may need to register your Australian Marriage when you return to your country of residence In this case, some counties will not accept official Australian Marriage documents without it having either an ‘Apostille Stamp’ or an ‘Authentication Stamp’. This is a legal process.

Whichever stamp is required on your Australian marriage documents will depend on whether your country of residence belongs to the Hague Convention.

To obtain either Stamp, they are issued by the Australian Dept of Foreign Affairs and there is an office in every Australian capital city including Sydney. It will also take at least 2-3 working days to organise this after you have obtained your registered Marriage Certificate from our Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry office, so please be aware that you may need to attend to this before your return home. More importantly to allow for the 2-3 working days.

Therefore it is advisable for you to investigate whether your country requires either an Apostille Stamp or an Authentication Stamp before coming to Australia to marry.

As for arranging to first get a registered copy of your Marriage Certificate, I can assist you here after your marriage has been solemnised.

Attached is an information sheet about this legal requirement and for further information on Apostille Stamp or Authentication Stamp, please visit the following site Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.